Introductions

Hello folks

Picture of Bruce Scharlau
Hello folks
by Bruce Scharlau - Friday, 24 February 2006, 3:23 PM

I found the forum via Paul Golding's post about <a href="http://wirelesswonders.blogspot.com/2006/02/cheap-milk-on-my-mobile.html">'Cheap milk'</a>. I do remember reading about it somewhere else too when it was first announced, but forgot to follow it up. I'm glad to discover that it's open to all. At the moment I've got one student working on a mobile wish list type of application mentione by Russell Beattie a while ago for her honours project, while another group of MSc students is working on a wifi mobile project with Aberdeen City Council, that is also loosely tied into the 'I'm a tag not a number' concept mooted over in the open gardens blog. Both of these projects should be good fun to see develop.
Picture of Martin Willitts
Re: Hello folks
by Martin Willitts - Monday, 27 February 2006, 1:34 PM

Interestig to hear about the projects. I could see SyncML being useful for the wish list if the aim is to sync a list on the phone with that on a web page (qv Mobical for example). However, if it is a shared list that gets even more interesting. I've previously found in a product research trial that a mobile wish list could usefully be used by a team holding a conference call to handle meetings. An interesting thing with reference to your posting is how the wish list and the wifi projects might overlap. Namely, how to handle the identification of the mobile phones (and indeed users via the different channels) given dynamic allocation of IP addresses.

Picture of Ajit Jaokar
by Ajit Jaokar - Monday, 27 February 2006, 7:16 PM

thanks Martin, and welcome Bruce. I hope you enjoy it here kind rgds Ajit
Picture of Bruce Scharlau
by Bruce Scharlau - Wednesday, 1 March 2006, 10:12 AM

Guys, thanks for the hearty welcome to the forum.

Martin, I had discussed syncML with the student doing the wish list, and yes, as you say it should be shared. It's supposed to help coordinate Christmas shopping so if two people want to collaborate on say, 'the present for Mom', then they can check that the idea is ok, and whether the other person has got it yet to. I'd not thought of the wish list type of app for the city wifi project, but now you mention it, it may be useful. We'll see how that goes, it might be something worth looking into when the project gets further along. The main thing about the wifi project though is that for now, it's not to be anything more than xhtml based with appropriate stylesheets for handsets so that it covers more users, so in this context synching should not be an issue.