Introductions

New member - Paddy Byers

Picture of Paddy Byers
New member - Paddy Byers
by Paddy Byers - Wednesday, 19 July 2006, 12:12 AM

Hi,

I'm Paddy Byers, CTO for Tao Group. I've put a few words about by background and interests in my profile.

I was prompted to join here after reading Ajit's comments in his opengardensblog about ajax and its potential to supersede both J2ME and regular XHTML in mobile. This resonates with what I've been thinking and various technologies we've been developing for some time. I'm interested also in how the web2 programmer can still be a first class citizen as a platform programmer and can have access to platform services just as if he was programming in the native environment on the device.

Other topics of interest I'd welcome discussion on:

- how to enable the creation and proliferation of services that appeal to only a small number of subscribers - it happens on the web so what has to happen to enable it on mobile?

- how to monetise those services and, harder, how to monetise the technology enablers that underpin those services - ie, where is the right place for those technology enablers in the value chain?

- the role of DRM - how to balance the legitimate rights of content/service owners and subscribers, and do it in the face of the range of technical, commercial and legal agendas of the incumbent technology providers.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and look forward to insights, conventional or otherwise.

Paddy

Picture of Ajit Jaokar
Re: New member - Paddy Byers
by Ajit Jaokar - Wednesday, 19 July 2006, 6:23 AM

welcome Paddy. You will find many insights here! Hope you like it here kind rgds Ajit
Picture of Johann Taljaard
Re: New member - Paddy Byers
by Johann Taljaard - Wednesday, 19 July 2006, 9:10 AM

A warm welcome to you Paddy and like Ajit says, there are plenty of opinion, suggestion and insights in this forum.

Enjoy your stay and fire away.

Warm rgards

johann