Introductions

Ian Paul, Materials writer for British Council WAP/SMS project

Picture of Ian Paul
Ian Paul, Materials writer for British Council WAP/SMS project
by Ian Paul - Friday, 14 March 2008, 6:31 PM

Ian Paul, Materials writer for British Council WAP/SMS project. This project, based in Bangkok, Thailand, is the child of a pilot I was also involved in in 2006. We are offering support for English as a Foreign Language learners through both SMS and WAP technology. I am also researching the possibility of Social Networking Sites and Podcasts as vectors of English as a Foreign Language materials.

Picture of William Volk
Re: Ian Paul, Materials writer for British Council WAP/SMS project
by William Volk - Friday, 14 March 2008, 9:36 PM

Very interesting. Do you have any links to the project and/or any studies on it's effectiveness?

I am currently working on a ESL (English as a Second Language) proposal to use mobile phones to replace a dedicated device.

Thank you,

William Volk
CEO, MyNuMo
Picture of Ian Paul
Re: Ian Paul, Materials writer for British Council WAP/SMS project
by Ian Paul - Saturday, 15 March 2008, 7:09 AM

Dear William,

I have included a link to a promotional page which is fairly typical of the many around the world. The project has been rolled out in about 25 countries so far. There has been a good take up, with a 60-70% retention from free trial to paid for service, possibly because of the low cost. It has been posible to keep the cost down by economies of scale as one set of questions can be used for all the countries.

With regard to effectiveness, this is a much more difficult area to quantify, we will never get the chance to compare the start and finish vocabulary level and understanding of English by users. Our take is that any extra reading/thinking in English is useful.

Regards

Ian Paul