Discussion forum - Post and discuss topics here.

iPhone official numbers out, 6.9 M 3G iPhones, 6.1 M original iPhones

Picture of Tomi Ahonen
iPhone official numbers out, 6.9 M 3G iPhones, 6.1 M original iPhones
by Tomi Ahonen - Tuesday, 21 October 2008, 10:36 PM

Hi all Apple followers

The official numbers are out today. Apple reports it sold 6.9 million units of the 3G iPhone. That compares with 6.1 million units of the original 2G iPhone. During the past 4 quarters, total 2G and 3G iPhone sales were 11.6 million, so Apple did clear its stated target of 10 million iPhone sales during fiscal year 2008 by a happy margin of 16%.

So the installed base of iPhones (2G and 3G) is 13 million today, and more than half of all iPhones in use today are 3G versions.

So, any thoughts about the iPhone?

..but on the other hand, you can have a phone with a good keypad for one-handed texting, like a Blackberry..

Tomi Ahonen / HatRat    :-)

Picture of William Volk
Re: iPhone official numbers out, 6.9 M 3G iPhones, 6.1 M original iPhones
by William Volk - Wednesday, 22 October 2008, 7:04 AM

Well, we're paying attention, that's for sure. We've upped the stakes on the iPhone games, we know that the market has become demanding and we intend to become a leading brand.
Picture of Vladimir Dimitroff
Exceeded target by 16%
by Vladimir Dimitroff - Monday, 17 November 2008, 7:54 PM

And this remarkable achievement gives it ??? % share of all mobile handsets sold in 2008? (Or, to compare bananas with bananas, ??? % share of all multimedia-capable and Internet-connected handsets sold in 2008?)

And it brings it to ??? position (by unit or $$$ sales, or by any objective criteria) among the top handset makers?

Let's have some numbers here, to properly quantify success. Otherwise it's just like - it has 100% market share of allhandsets sold that have an Apple logo on them, and is No.1 of all brands bought by fanatical Apple extremists (and objectively No.1 by the criterion of amount and loudness of media hype).

What is the reality ?

Picture of Alex Kerr
Re: Exceeded target by 16%
by Alex Kerr - Tuesday, 18 November 2008, 5:27 PM

Agreed, we need a bit of perspective. The iPhone is arguably just another handset now, what with other appstores and other touchscreens out there. Yes, iPhone still does touchscreens and UIs best currently and everyone's still making more money off the iPhone Appstore - perhaps the only truly distinguishing features these days :)
Otherwise the hardware is poor and the software has massive omissions.

Pity we can't get uptodate total S60 sales figures to compare with, I think they might be in a different league :)
Picture of William Volk
Re: Exceeded target by 16%
by William Volk - Tuesday, 18 November 2008, 6:55 PM

Until the "other app stores" allow developers to sell apps and offer a similar consumer experience to the Apple App Store, they are not yet relevant.

Google's App Market should be there in 2009. RIM, around the same time.

Nokia? Who knows.

Follow the $$$.
Picture of Tomi Ahonen
Following up - iPhone 3G is UK What Mobile magazine phone of year - iPhone official numbers out, 6.9 M 3G iPhones, 6.1 M original iPhones
by Tomi Ahonen - Tuesday, 18 November 2008, 11:54 PM

Hi all..

I'm here in London this week to do a couple of conferences and other meetings. I picked up the What Mobile magazine (a UK consumer magazine for mobile phones) - the end-of-year awards issue - and it gave the phone of the year to the iPhone 3G. Congratulations Apple. This is how WM wrote in announcing the award:

The winner comes as no surprise. The iPhone 3G may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the vast majority of consumers are smitten by its gorgeous interface and stunning looks. We also lvoed the device, awarding it a fivce-star rating and Editor's Choice Award in our September review. The elegant touch menu is a joy to use and the Google Maps function is impressive but in our view the biggest improvement is the App store, offering hundreds of ways to customize and enhance the handset. And the iPhone 3G clearly has a place in our readers' hearts, as swarms of you voted for it. We couldn't agree more - its a deserved winner.

The runners-up were Samsung i850, the Nokia N96 and the SonyEricsson C902.

(other major awards were best network: Vodafone, best manufacturer SonyEricsson, best smartphone Blackberry Bold, best fashion phone LG Secret, best musicphone SonyEricsson W890i, best cameraphone Samsung i8510, best mobile service Nokia Maps 2.0, best mobile game Metal Gear Acid (by Glu Mobile) and best retailer Carphone Warehouse.

Congratulations to all the winners.

..but on your other hand, your HatRat will hold onto his E90 Communicator..

Tomi Ahonen / HatRat    :-)