Discussion forum - Post and discuss topics here.

ICE

Lyle Profile Picture
ICE
by Lyle Brotherton - Monday, 30 March 2009, 2:15 PM

In case of emergency is a program that enables first responders, such as paramedics, firefighters, and police officers, to identify victims and contact their next of kin to obtain important medical information. In the UK I understand first responders are trained to look for this (TBC), does anyone know if this is the case in other countries please and if so how it differs?

WeeMee me
Re: ICE
by Jon Smith - Monday, 30 March 2009, 4:17 PM

Hi Lyle, I think in the US it's DOA?

Picture of Martin Sauter
by Martin Sauter - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 5:47 PM

Hi Lyle,

Haven't heard about it in Germany or Austria. However, here's a development that might interest you, which aims to standardize ICE:

In the latest version (Rel 8) of the GSM/UMTS/LTE standard from 3GPP, In Case of Emergence (ICE) is now an official feature that will hopefully make it into future phones and SIM cards and will then be available in a standardized way worldwide. That's great especially when you think about roaming. Here's how it works according to the specification:
  • The user enters ICE information like names of persons, relation to these persons and phone numbers. For details see 3GPP TS 22.101, A28
  • During an emergency, the information can be retrieved by pressing the '*' button 3 times. That's specified in 3GPP TS 22.030, 6.8
  • The information is stored in a new file on the SIM card referred to as EF(ICE_DN) and the format is described in 3GPP TS 31.102
All specs freely downloadable from the 3GPP.org website.

Cheers,
Martin
Mugshot
by Sami Makelainen - Wednesday, 1 April 2009, 8:58 PM

People have been urged to add ICE-contacts occasionally in Finland; I'm not aware of any official take-up rates, but I suspect quite many people do have it. Even my parents who are retired heard about it a couple of years ago and "ICE'd" a contact.

[x]
[preferences]

Picture of Tomi Ahonen
Fascinating development Martin - ICE
by Tomi Ahonen - Thursday, 2 April 2009, 1:20 AM

Hi Lyle, Jon, Martin and Sami

Good topic thanks Lyle for launching it. And again great insights. I've liked ICE for a long time and promoted it occasionally in my presentations, but I was totally not aware of the standardization work to make the info also available via the * key 3 times etc. Great info, thanks Martin!

And yeah, funny story Sami - its amazing what kind of info will filter to older generations - and how surprisingly nimble they can be with phones at times.

Tomi Ahonen / HatRat   :-)