Discussion forum - Post and discuss topics here.

Comscore European iPhone figures

Picture of Al Briggs
Comscore European iPhone figures
by Al Briggs - Wednesday, 23 June 2010, 8:13 PM

A report from comscore on the eve of e iPhone 4:

http://comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2010/6/The_iPhone_Reality_in_Europe_Low_Overall_Penetration_Enormous_Impact

"The iPhone currently represents just 4 percent of the EU5 (U.K., France, Germany, Spain, Italy) mobile market, but 18 percent of the overall EU5 smartphone market. However, the iPhone has facilitated fundamental change in mobile user behaviour and ignited fierce competition among device and operating system (OS) providers.

iPhone owners are the most voracious consumers of mobile media: 94 percent use mobile media, 87 percent use applications and 85 percent browse the mobile internet. With just 4 percent share of the European market, iPhone users represent 12 percent of all mobile media users."

Dean 87% App users and 85% mobile Internet - are apps still a fad?

Al
Picture of William Volk
Re: Comscore European iPhone figures
by William Volk - Wednesday, 23 June 2010, 10:21 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-volk/apples-boca-raton-moment_b_622852.html

Apple's "Boca Raton" Moment - How the App Store happened

(Thanks for Tomi for the inspiration)
Picture of Alex Kerr
by Alex Kerr - Thursday, 24 June 2010, 12:25 PM

> However, the iPhone has facilitated fundamental change in mobile user behaviour and ignited fierce competition among device and operating system (OS) providers.

Yep, and as I've always said this will be Apple's key contribution to the world. Everyone using iPhones? Never going to happen. Everyone using handsets from a variety of manufacturers, most influenced to varying extents by iPhone? Already been happening for a while.
Walter Adamson @adamson
by Walter Adamson - Wednesday, 30 June 2010, 2:02 PM

A recent survey from Australia found that the iPhone accounted for a staggering 93% of all mobile internet access, even though it represents only about 5% of the market. It was actually the iOS accesses, but since the iPad is just launched it could hardly count. The impact on the "average" consumer is remarkable.
Picture of Luca Passani
by Luca Passani - Wednesday, 30 June 2010, 3:28 PM

I am sure these figures are seriously flawed.

Maybe there is a skew somewhere because of advertising on iPhone apps (which generate HTTP traffic even when users are not really actively accessing the mobile internet)

Luca
Picture of Alex Kerr
by Alex Kerr - Wednesday, 30 June 2010, 5:37 PM

Agreed. I bet if there was some way to actually measure everyone's web or internet (two different things, note) access across all handsets and all platforms you absolutely would not get anywhere near 93% of it coming from iPhones. These are ludicrous figures I'm afraid.
Picture of Sadin Nurkic
by Sadin Nurkic - Wednesday, 30 June 2010, 10:30 PM

While those figures do indeed sound incredible, I have a very credible source that they are very much the true picture. From actual live data on a network.

Aside from Mobile Broadband that obviously takes the grand amount of bandwidth compared to handset access, the only piece of traffic that can be seen on a graph from "a handset" is from iPhones. Other manufacturers (not just a model, but all models added up together) don't even create a line on that graph and raw data points to somewhere around the percentages mentioned in the survey.
Picture of Alex Kerr
by Alex Kerr - Thursday, 1 July 2010, 5:48 PM

OK, if it's live network data showing ALL hits from ALL handsets I'll accept it. Still feel uncomfortable generalising as I assume you're quoting in 1 network on 1 territory, but facts is facts :)
Picture of Zigurd Mednieks
by Zigurd Mednieks - Wednesday, 30 June 2010, 11:31 PM

I thought the same thing when I saw figures that showed iPhone apps were 10X-20X the revenue of all J2ME app sales.

But it turned out to be correct. iPhone is 100X to 1000X more effective in getting users to use apps and the Web. And this seemingly impossible ratio is actually true.

The other side of the coin is that J2ME, and the Web on small, non-touch displays, have a low utilization rate. The iPhone numbers are not just about how good the iPhone is, but how poor the user experience was before iPhone.

There are all kinds of multiple-order-of-magnitude effects in mobile use patterns.
Picture of Alex Kerr
by Alex Kerr - Thursday, 1 July 2010, 5:56 PM

> when I saw figures ... it turned out to be correct

OK, in which case what figures exactly, from where, and so on. How did they turn out to be correct? How can we really trust these figures as being representative of the whole general picture? I am mindful of for example Tomi's posts on his blog on how terribly bad the picture is for iPhone developers in terms of the average developer making anything other than a considerable loss, and mindful of the fact that Android market makes devs vastly less money than iPhone on average - i.e. in light of the picture Tomi paints you're making hugely bold claims.

Also about J2ME being so poor, does that hold these days, or is it generally accepted but out of date hearsay? If it's not, then why are GetJar doing so well these days when the bulk of their catalogue is non smartphone apps (I believe) - is their success due solely to ... what exactly?

> but how poor the user experience was before iPhone.

True, but just to note I believe other platforms have now more or less caught up, and in some cases exceeded iPhone UI, it's no longer the gold standard. Even J2ME apps really can match the UI experience with libraries like LWUIT.
Picture of Dean Bubley
by Dean Bubley - Wednesday, 30 June 2010, 6:44 PM

Al

> Dean 87% App users and 85% mobile Internet - are apps still a fad?

You're misrepresenting my views.

a) There is no mobile Internet, just the Internet on mobile. The vast bulk of usage of the Internet on mobile devices mirrors the usage on fixed networks and from PCs. In particular, there is a huge amount of mobilisation (with tweaks, yes) of existing social networks (Facebook), email and content downloads (YouTube). With the exception of mapping, most mobile-specific Internet services are niche and useless, eg Foursquare and Gowalla.

b) I'm still expecting that users will get bored of hundreds of applications, and will have a few well-chosen ones - most of which should have been in the core OS when it left the factory anyway. eg on an iPhone - Facebook, RSS and Skype clients. The "long tail" of apps will be of limited interest to most mid-late adopters apart from the occasional game or advertiser-sponsored thing. I'd expect <$2 of spend on apps per month once high-end smartphones get to, say, 30% penetration, perhaps <$1

Mind you, maybe I'm biased. I haven't bought a mobile application for personal use since a Java game in 2005, and don't have any payment mechanism registered with iTunes.

Dean